Our Awesome Team
The team we are proud to call Pesky
1. Ben King - Skipper and CEO
2. Aiden Berry - COO - One of the most creative problem solvers, with a hugely varied background working in supply chain and logistics across the world. A qualified engineer, he left the University of Southampton and worked within the operations of CEVA. However, not content to work within a traditional corporate, he most recently spent 2 years with Médecins Sans Frontières - managing blood and hospital logistics in Sierra Leone through Ebola, pharmacy logsitics on the border of Syria and Jordan, as well as country operations in South Sudan. He left Pesky with the ambition to build the most sustainable food chain in the world and is doing a pretty good job of it, so far!
3. Andreas Hochlehnert - Tech Lead - A phenomenal developer who originally trained as a neurophysicist - he was part of a technical team at the European Space Agency to put satellite on asteroid and set up his own tech agency before leaving Germany in 2018. Having worked at Techstars over the summer, he has spent the last 12 months building the technical infrastructure for Pesky, including the coveted Pesky app, supported by his junior developer, Isaac. An incredibly logical thinker and developer - he has carved some of the best solutions to our technical problems on his way to launching the world's first catch to plate interface.
4. Dan Mayzes - Fisheries Manager - A marine biologist by background, Dan was brought into the business to manage Pesky's proposition for both fish and fishermen. In the absence of defining a strict sustainability policy, Dan has been Pesky's compass to determine what species and what boats we should bring into the chain. He is single handedly responsible for highlighting and creating a market for under-valued bycatch species, helping fishermen receive up to 9x what they would get at the market.
6. Connor Adam - London Ops Manager - Responsible for everything that comes in and out of our London hub, including the management of our last mile service with our delivery partners, PedalMe
7. Marie-Claire Barnes - Company Admin - The title doesn't do her justice. She is the glue in the team, ensuring that every fish is recorded from catch to plate, that every customer is invoiced on time and in full, while managing payments from our ever-growing customer accounts. As a result of her diligence, we have been able to maintain the shortest payment terms of any seafood supplier in London.
8. Isaac Yule - Junior Developer - Single handedly developed the backend dashboard for Pesky's app - enabling the entire team to simply update availability, forecast and manage all customer communication through the app. Incredibly curious, his skills have grown exponentially in 2019, resulting in an increased speed of our development.
9. Suzy Kayser - Devon Ops Support - Devon born and bread, Suzy has supported our operation in Devon as we brought on boats ahead of the launch of our test hub. Always willing to do the early rise, she has been instrumental in the delivery of our 6-hour fresh hand dived scallop proposition.
Strengthening the team to deliver on our objectives and rebuild this industry
Once we have closed the round, we will make a number of key hires to help accelerate our plan:
Head of Product - Our most important hire to date. With the focus on the development of the two products mentioned above, we have chosen to put a seasoned head of product as the leader of our engineering team. We brought in the support of Jon Dweck, CEO of Pod Talent, who has been working with us to find the best possible person for this role. Following dramatically greater success than the first time round, we are interviewing through early December, with the intent to have them in role from March 1st.
Restaurant Manager - We are in the final stages of the hiring process of a seasoned head of restaurant sales with extensive experience in seafood sales roles. They will be responsible for the ongoing management and development of the restaurant proposition as we expand nationwide from January - working directly into myself. While the formal offer will go out on the 14th of December, we are also confident that this individual has the potential to progress to a broader head of commercial in coming years. We intend to have them in role from the 2nd week of January.
Wholesale Manager- With the responsibility of developing the demand pipeline to support our Wholesale Market Platform, we have focussed on placing someone with extensive industry experience who is familiar with the networks and currents within the UK wholesale market. Therefore, we focussed on senior buying managers or buying directors of existing national or large scale fish merchants and have a shortlist of brilliant candidates that we will continue to interview up through January, with the intent of them being in role from March to complement the introduction of the new port.
Devon Hub Manager - Responsible for the daily management of the Devon test hub. We have an existing manager in Susie, but will be looking to recruit someone with experience running an existing market, potentially in the neighbouring Brixham.
Our management team from April 1st 2020
CEO - Ben
CPO - TBC
COO - Aiden
Floating CFO - TBC
As part of this round, we will be forming a board that we shall cement by March 1st 2020.